Saturday, July 7, 2012

07-07-2012 Saturday

Hello everyone! I hope you had a great Independence Day and if you're living in the midwest right now, are surviving this HEAT!! The last time I posted, I commented that "No news is good news"? Well, once again, that is the truth. I must admit that without something interesting to tell you I'm less inclined to post as often as I should. But, I'm here now so here it goes.
Back on 06-19 I had another MRI (they're so much fun... NOT!) and talked with my neurologist, Dr. Ryken. He read the MRI and determined that my menengioma (brain tumor), had shrunk just a little from the previous MRI three months ago. He is comfortable enough with the steady and continued shrinkage that he is setting up our follow-ups at 6-month intervals instead of 3-month intervals! I can't ask for much more considering the cause of the shrinkage is actually one of the chemo drugs used to treat my cancer! Dr. Ryken hasn’t actually had to treat me with anything!  
Then on 06-25 I had another CT Scan of my chest and a follow-up with my onocologist, Dr. Mazri on 6-28. He reviewed the radiologist's report on the CT Scan and looked it over himself. The report and his conclusions were both that the tumors remained the same size, which is what the goal of my treatments are since I am in maintenance mode. Shrinkage would be better but, in reality, not very likely. After the follow-up, I received my 25th chemotherapy treatment. Overall my worst symptoms are being extremely tired, peripheral neuropathy (nerve damage in my feet) from circulation problems caused by the chemotherapy, and lately a lot of fluid build-up causing swelling in my feet and lower legs and shortness of breath. Dr. Mazri said I could try taking 2 Lasix (a diuretic... makes you pee to get rid of the fluid) every other day (which is working by the way!). He didn't want to go every day because then I might start loosing too much pottasium which regulates your heart. (You didn't know medicine was so complicated did you!!) I know these sound like some very unpleasant symptoms (I don’t enjoy them believe me!) but when you consider the alternative, I can put up with them and more if necessary!!
I'm still a two-a-day nap taker during the first week after treatment. I know that's OK and my body is focing me to give it rest but it still bugs the "old me" a little bit. As for the rest of the family... everyone is currently healthy and busy avoiding the heat that we've been having! Praise God!!
And now, Bible trivia. The question from the last post was: What symbol did St. Patrick use to explain his theory of the Holy Trinity? Several responded with the correct answer which is... (drumroll please...) The Shamrock (three leafed clover... now you know why you see so many of them on St. Patrick's Day!). So for this entires question... this one should be fairly easy... How about: Lazarus had 2 sisters. What were their names?
I'll close today by asking all of you to keep a smile on your face. Sometmes we get so tied up in thinking of the day to day turmoil in our lives that we forget how blessed all of us really are. God provides for all of our needs if we only accept His guidance. Remember, God doesn't say that being a Christian means we will never have troubles! He says that He will always be there to help us through any trouble that comes along! May God grant you all the peace and contentment that only He can provide. God Bless.

2 comments:

  1. If I changed the settings correctly, everyone should be able to add comments now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just put mom on your blogsite, Wayne

    ReplyDelete